Yes, a professional teeth cleaning can remove some types of stains. However, it is important to note that not all stains can be removed by teeth cleaning alone.
The type of stains that can be removed by teeth cleaning include:
- Plaque and tartar buildup: Plaque is a sticky film that forms on your teeth throughout the day. If plaque is not removed, it can harden into tartar, which can cause tooth decay and gum disease. Tartar is a hard substance that cannot be removed by brushing alone. A professional teeth cleaning can remove plaque and tartar buildup.
- Surface stains: Surface stains are caused by food, drinks, and tobacco. These stains can be removed by a professional teeth cleaning using a variety of methods, including polishing, scaling, and air abrasion.
The type of stains that cannot be removed by teeth cleaning alone include:
- Internal stains: Internal stains are caused by damage to the tooth enamel, such as from trauma or a cavity. These stains cannot be removed by teeth cleaning alone and may require treatment by a dentist or dental hygienist.
- Fluoride stains: Fluoride stains are caused by too much fluoride in the water or toothpaste. These stains can be removed by a professional teeth cleaning, but may recur if the fluoride exposure is not reduced.
If you are concerned about stains on your teeth, talk to your dentist or dental hygienist. They can assess the type of stains you have and recommend the best treatment option for you.
Here are some tips to help prevent stains on your teeth:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time.
- Floss your teeth once a day.
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
- Avoid sugary and acidic foods and drinks.
- Quit smoking.
- Limit your intake of alcohol.
By following these tips, you can help to keep your teeth clean and healthy and prevent stains from forming.