There are many different types of dental treatment, each designed to address a specific oral health issue. Some of the most common types of dental treatment include:
- Checkups and cleanings: These are the most basic type of dental treatment and are essential for preventing tooth decay and gum disease. During a checkup, the dentist will examine your teeth and gums for any problems. They will also clean your teeth to remove plaque and tartar buildup.
- Fillings: Fillings are used to repair cavities. They are made of a material that is similar to tooth enamel and are bonded to the tooth to fill the hole caused by the cavity.
- Crowns: Crowns are used to restore a broken or decayed tooth. They are made of a material that is stronger than tooth enamel and are cemented over the tooth to protect it.
- Bridges: Bridges are used to replace missing teeth. They are made of two crowns that are connected by a pontic, which is a false tooth.
- Root canals: Root canals are used to save a tooth that is infected. The dentist will remove the infected pulp from the tooth and fill the canal with a material that prevents the infection from returning.
- Extractions: Extractions are used to remove a tooth that is beyond repair. This may be necessary if the tooth is severely decayed, damaged, or impacted.
Other types of dental treatment include:
- Dental implants: Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth. They are made of a titanium post that is inserted into the jawbone and a false tooth that is attached to the post.
- Veneers: Veneers are thin shells that are bonded to the front of the teeth to improve their appearance. They can be used to cover chipped, stained, or crooked teeth.
- Invisalign: Invisalign is a clear aligners that are used to straighten teeth. They are worn for 22 hours a day and are gradually adjusted to move the teeth into their correct position.
- Wisdom teeth removal: Wisdom teeth are the four teeth that are located at the back of the mouth. They often become impacted, which means they cannot erupt properly. This can cause pain, infection, and other problems. Wisdom teeth removal is a surgery that is performed to remove impacted wisdom teeth.
The type of dental treatment you need will depend on the severity of your dental problems. It is important to see your dentist regularly to prevent dental problems from developing and to get the treatment you need to keep your teeth and gums healthy.